How to Apply For a Parent Visa in the United States

Parent Visa

If you’re an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you can sponsor your parents to come live with you in Australia. There are a range of Parent Visa options, including temporary and permanent visas. There are also bridging and transitional options available.

There are two types of Parent Visa, Contributory and Non-contributory. The Contributory visa offers permanent residency, while the Non-contributory visa is a temporary visa that does not lead to citizenship. Both have different processing times and require different forms of evidence, including health and character checks.

The Ultimate Guide to Choosing the Best Parent Visa for Your Family

The first step in the process is for your child, who must be a US citizen or permanent resident, to file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative with USCIS. Then, your parent must take an interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, or at a Regional Service Center, to complete their visa application.

Once your parent has completed their visa application, they will receive a notice of appointment for their fingerprint and eye scan (known as a biometrics appointment). They must attend the appointment, and bring all the required documents, to have their prints taken and their eyes scanned.

The next step is to schedule a visa interview. Your parent must bring a valid passport and a recent photo that meets the visa requirements. They must also show strong ties to their home country, such as employment, property ownership, financial assets, or family connections. In addition, they must show that they can support themselves and their dependents financially once they arrive in the United States.